Discussions
What Psychological and Social Factors Contribute to the Development of Wisdom?
By Howard C. Nusbaum When thinking about how wisdom develops, some people believe that wisdom comes with age. This idea may be due to examples that come readily to mind either from personal experience or from popular culture. But before considering how

• COMMENTS
  • Mon, Sep 8 2014 2:19 PM

Brenda Huskey

By Howard C. Nusbaum When thinking about how wisdom develops, some people believe that wisdom comes with age. This idea may be due to examples that come readily to mind either from personal experience or from popular culture. But before considering how
  • Thu, Sep 11 2014 2:16 PM

Nancy Zwiers

In general, I have seen that breakdowns cause breakthroughs in my life. Perhaps that general model of growth applies to wisdom and that's why wisdom is often preceded by tragedy or significant difficulties. I think challenges cause us to elevate our
  • Wed, Sep 24 2014 1:03 PM

David Hurst

Data is data but one’s interpretation of it depends upon what one thinks about the human mind. In my field, which is management, back in the 1950s “everybody knew” that managers ought to be rational in a logical, Cartesian way. Emotion was the enemy of
  • Fri, Nov 28 2014 5:36 PM

Ron Krumpos

Wisdom extends beyond mental knowledge and sensory experiences. It is intuitive insight. Intuitive: “Knowing something without rational processes; the immediate cognition of it.” Insight: “Discernment of the true nature of a situation; penetration beyond
  • Mon, Dec 22 2014 9:29 AM

Michael Gillick

I remain concerned about the proper definition of wisdom. Most definitions of wisdom leave us where we started. So, for instance, if we call it "prudent judgment", we are left with both prudence and judgment undefined. Even Aristotle's definition