Discussions
Has the world become more or less wise over the past 50 years?
At the Defining Wisdom Network Meeting in June 2009, participants were asked to come up with a series of questions about wisdom that might shed light on the broad issues of our project. One participant asked the following question: “Has the world become

• COMMENTS
  • Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:16 PM

Joy Wattawa

At the Defining Wisdom Network Meeting in June 2009, participants were asked to come up with a series of questions about wisdom that might shed light on the broad issues of our project. One participant asked the following question: “Has the world become
  • Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:21 PM

Lawrence O'Connor

Initial thoughts: As a civilisation, we have all the wisdom we require to address any challenge wisely. However, we are not always able to access it from within ourselves or others. And when are able to, we are not always able to apply it effectively
  • Thu, Jan 14 2010 1:30 PM

Keith Whitaker

This question seems ripe for methodological critique (what is meant by "world" or by "more or less wise"). Which would too bad. I suspect that thrashing around with some answers to even this vaguely-worded query will be worth more
  • Fri, Jan 29 2010 5:11 AM

Judith Gluck

... because I prepared a comment some days ago arguing that the world has indeed become wiser, and then had no time to post it ... now, having read your points, Keith, I am no longer so sure but rather than revising my comment I'll just post it here
  • Fri, Jan 29 2010 5:18 AM

Judith Gluck

Sorry that my comment starts with "because" -- I put in a heading ("This is exciting..." that isn't shown.
  • Sat, Jan 30 2010 1:04 PM

Keith Whitaker

Thank you, Judith, for your thoughtful reply. I was feeling a bit lonely. Your comment recalled to my mind my long-ago reading of Rousseau, particularly your remarks about wisdom consisting, at least in large part, of compassion or tolerance, and your